Do you know that we spend 26 years on sleeping in our lifetime? It is an impressive number, isn’t it? Sleep is vital for us to learn and work more efficiently. However, nowadays there are a considerate amount of people who have trouble sleeping due to anxiety, or depression. Besides these factors, the number of pillows is also associated with sleep problems.
How many pillows should you have?
In order to get a good night’s sleep, one of the most essential bedding accessories you should never forget to use is the pillow that plays a critical role in giving sufficient support to lots of parts of our body such as head, neck, shoulders and so on. With those who are pregnant or side sleepers, pillows are definitely indispensable items for having sound sleep every night.
Have you ever wondered how many pillows you should sleep on? It seems there is no correct answer for this question. People have their own sleep habits, someone finds comfortable to sleep just with a pillow, but to many sleepers, one is not enough to help them fall asleep. As long as you feel comfortable to sleep, there is no need to pay a lot of attention to the number of pillows used.
If you concern about pillows for sleep, here are some suggestions that you can take into consideration.
- The first choice is use one pillow put under your head.
- The second choice is have two pillows, you use one for the head and the other for hugging while sleep. It is an interesting fact that lots of people admit they cannot sleep without a hug pillow. How about you?
- The last choice is use three pillows for the head, the knees and the feet. It is strange to use the pillow for the feet, isn’t it? However, after a day of walking or wearing high heels, it is difficult for you to avoid foot pain, right? In this case, a soft pillow for your feet is a simple but effective way that relieves pain and discomfort as well as allows your feet to relax. If you have a tendency to sleep on your back, don’t forget to put a pillow underneath your knees.
You can try these above choices to find out what is the most suitable for you. Nevertheless, they are just our recommendation, and you can totally use more than three pillows depend on your personal preference.
If you intend to use more than one pillow, make sure that you choose the right pillows and learn how to use them properly to avoid regrettable situations such as neck pain, headaches or body aches caused by wrong pillows, improper sleeping position and use of pillows.
How to use pillows effectively?
Here are some ways to arrange pillows that you should follow to get better sleep.
- When lying down, your body needs keeping in a neutral position. It is recommended you should sleep on your back and side that are the most ideal sleep positions. If you are used to sleeping with one pillow placed under the head, remember to choose the one that is not too flat to prevent your head from falling down into the mattress.
- Many sleepers prefer to make a stack of at least 2 pillows under the head while sleep without knowing its negative effects on health. If you keep doing this bad habit on the regular basis, you will wake up every morning with a stiff neck. Thus, one pillow is enough for the head.
- If you are a side sleeper, consider putting a pillow between your legs, which can help you get to sleep easier. If you can’t get enough of sleeping on your stomach, make sure to place a pillow under your hips before going to bed. However, it is not advisable to sleep in this style since it can cause lower back, neck pain and so on.
As you can see, it appears there is no obvious answer for this issue, but we believe this post will be partly helpful for you with useful information.