Do you know that a pillow is one of the most important factors affecting your sleep? You can benefit from a good pillow since it can provide proper support for your head and neck as well as significantly alleviate neck and back pain. If you wonder how to choose the right pillow, here is the answer.
Step 1: Look for your favorite sleeping position
Pay attention to your preferred sleep position: What is your favorite sleep style? Do you primarily sleep on your back, your side or your stomach? In order to choose the suitable pillow, you need to take sleeping position into account.
Discover the way you sleep: Though you may identify your perfect sleeping position, it is necessary to spend a few nights on confirming this. Before you go to bed, let try sleeping on your side, your back and your stomach in a few minutes to know which one brings you comfort. Also, you should keep in mind the position when waking up in the morning.
Opt for your favorite sleeping position: After finding out the perfect sleep style, it’s time for you to make a decision.
- If you are accustomed to sleeping on your back, a pillow of medium thickness will be an ideal item giving support to your head and neck so that you can get a good night’s sleep.
- If you are a side sleeper, don’t forget to pick a firm, thick pillow that not only conforms to your neck’s shape but also offers sufficient support as well as keeps your head at the appropriate height to help align your spine.
- If you enjoy sleeping on your stomach, you will have two choices. Depend on your preference, you can sleep without a pillow or select a soft but fairly flat one.
- If you feel easy and comfortable to sleep well in various positions throughout the night without any troubles, a soft, medium thick pillow will be the best option.
Step 2: Determine your pillow fill type
Know about pillow filling materials: There are many types of pillow that are available on the market. These bedding accessories can be stuffed by wool, cotton, microbeads, polyester, foam, buckwheat, down and so on. It is advisable to spend time carefully choosing the pillow filling in case you suffer from a number of diseases such as allergies, chronic neck pain or asthma.
Consider whether you want a down or feather pillow: In order to make these pillow types, people often use the soft under feathers of geese or ducks.
- Make sure that you can distinguish the differences between a feather pillow and a down pillow. In fact, down pillows seem to have better properties when compared to feather pillows. Though you need to pay more to have down pillows but they are definitely softer, lighter and more resilient than feather ones.
- It is widely believed that down or feather pillows are one of the factors contributing to allergies reactions in spite of no obvious proof. Perhaps, if the pillows aren’t kept clean, dust mites, mold or bed bugs can cause allergic and asthma symptoms.
Think about a pillow made from wool or cotton: If you always have a fear of getting allergic reactions, picking a cotton or wool pillow may be a safe solution as it is not an ideal habitat for dust mites or mold.
- If you have a tendency to sleep on your stomach, a firm pillow may not be intended for you. A wool or cotton pillow that not only are extra thin but also contains hypoallergenic properties may be a perfect alternative.
Take heed of a latex pillow: The major material to make this type of pillow is rubber tree sap that helps it become elastic and resilient.
- Because of their mold resistance ability, latex pillows are recommended for allergy sufferers.
- Additionally, plenty of people prefer sleeping on latex pillows in lieu of memory foam ones as they keep them warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.
Don’t ignore a memory foam pillow: To create this bedding item, producers use polyurethane along with additional chemicals.
- They can provide great support to relieve neck, or shoulder pain as well as prevent overheating and allergies.
- If you move around a lot while sleeping, a memory foam pillow may not be your cup of tea.
- When you bring a new pillow home, it may have an unpleasant smell, but don’t worry because this odor will soon dissipate after a few days.
Consider trying a specialty pillow: With those who have certain sleep habits or particular health issues, a specialty pillow may be more suitable than a regular one.
- A positional pillow is specially designed for the ones diagnosed with sleep apnea to find the ideal position for better sleep. It is also helpful to stop you from tossing and turning all night long.
- An oxygen pillow helps your head and neck to receive needed support as well as improves air circulation for easier, deeper breathing that is an indispensable factor contributing to better sleep.
- A cool pillow is uniquely designed to absorb heat so that you can stay cool while sleep. This item can come in handy if you are experiencing hot flashes.
- An anti-snore pillow is an effective tool which helps keep your airways open during sleep as well as reduce snoring by putting your head in an appropriate position so that you and your partner can achieve deep, undisrupted sleep at night.
- A cervical pillow is ergonomically designed to give enough support to your neck. Although some people say that this pillow type can help get rid of a stiff neck and tension headache, there is still insufficient evidence to support this claim.
Step 3: Don’t forget to test out other types of pillows to find out the best one
Ensure that you read online reviews before making a purchase decision: It is surprising that more and more shoppers are influenced by online reviews. In addition, you should also shop around on the internet, which gives you the opportunity to compare prices, styles and quality of different pillows.
Remember price isn’t everything: Don’t hesitate to try out a number of different types of pillow. Maybe a cheap pillow will better suit both you and your wallet, right?
Ask about the return and exchange policies: If you are unsatisfied with your new pillow, you can return it to the store within a certain period of time for refund or exchange.
By following these simple steps above, finding a right pillow is a piece of cake, isn’t it? Hope that you will soon pick the perfect pillow.